Archibald Family

Archibald Family

Sunday, October 2, 2011

Hunting Trip

After taking hunter safety last year with Makayla, I decided to go hunting this year with Trav, my dad and uncle Gary.  We drove over by the Hoback and then hiked in about 2 hours to get to camp.  My dad and uncle were all ready there with the llamas by the time we arrived.  It was Sunday afternoon so we just hung out with them for the rest of the day and prepared for the hunt the following morning.




My dad has been hunting here for a really long time and so the set up is pretty hi-tech, hence the next picture. Sure beats squatting!


The llamas are a treat to be around.  They are really quite friendly.  This one was my favorite, his name is Button, hmmm maybe it's Mutton.  Hahaha both of them look the same, I can't tell which one this is.


So Monday morning we woke up at 4 am and were on the trail by 4:45.  We hiked about 2 hrs higher up into the mountains until we got to where I was going to look for an elk.  We sat down with our backs against this log and I pulled out the camera to have Trav snap a picture of us.  Just as he was snapping the picture we heard a noise, I said "what's that" and we both turned to see a black bear about 20 feet behind us.

 Look really close, you will see the bear.  Trav had his bear tag but didn't want to shoot it because I wanted to shoot an elk.  Twice I told him to shoot it, he declined.  The bear heard us and then walked up the hill just a bit then turned back around and grunted at us.  At that point my adrenaline was pumping (mostly from fear), and I told Trav "shoot it or I am going to be mad at you".   Well that did the trick, he pulled up his gun and made a nice clean shot!   

While we waited a bit to make sure the bear was dead, I was taking pics of the scenery and out walked a baby moose.  It was so stinking cute, until the momma walked right out in front of it.  They were very close to us too so once again my fear got the better of me.  All I could think of was a moose protecting her baby so I told Trav to scare it away.  Man what a hunting partner I am turning out to be.  hahaha



We followed the blood trail and here's the beautiful little bear it led us to.  Not real big but he has an amazingly beautiful cape that will make a nice rug.







The guys are all tuckered out, time for a snooze!

Here's the story about the nice elk I MISSED. 
So the next night we made about a 4 hour loop in the mountains.  It was absolutely beautiful.  We didn't hear any elk bugling though.  When we got closer to camp we stopped by the creek to let the llamas get a little drink and also pick up the chocolate milk that was stored there.  We were all chatting away when we heard an elk bugle.  My uncle Gary took the llamas while my dad circled around the outskirts and bugled back to the elk.  Trav and I headed straight into the trees looking for it so we could get a shot.  Ok so when I tell you this elk was bugling, I mean it was bugling.  It was the most amazing  thing I have ever heard.  It was grunting and everything.  My dad stayed hidden but called the elk closer.  Finally we spotted the elk,  so Trav found us a log to sit on.  It was a nice bull (at least that's what Trav said, I was just pumped to see and hear the elk).  It was probably only about 70 yards away (I know, how the heck could I possibly miss right).  Well I pulled up my gun and put my sites on him, I was shaking so bad from the adrenaline.  He started to turn back up the hill so Trav whistled and he turned back broadside, perfect for the shot.  I saw him in my cross heirs and pulled the trigger but unfortunately I missed, man was I frustrated. Not to make excuses but I have never shot without a gun rest and my gun was a little too heavy for me (good justification).   



Here's some pics in front of our tent, I told Travis he looks like he is wearing a scarf.  Hahahaha it is actually a game bag.

Anyway, I had an amazing time.  Great memories and great stories to tell.  Still bummed I missed that elk but there is always next year!

1 comment:

  1. Awesome! Love the lamas. Looks like you guys had a lot of fun.

    ReplyDelete