We had a fun and successful hunting trip this year. You guessed it, I didn't miss this time! I landed me a small 5 pt. elk. It was so amazing. When we hiked in the first day, it started to rain and ended up being a good rainstorm so we got pretty wet but luckily it wasn't TOO cold. We hunted for 2 days straight and didn't see or hear too much. A couple elk bugling but didn't quite get close enough to shoot. Then the last morning we were sitting there and it was pretty quiet so I assumed that the hunt was over and we would pack up and head down the mountain to the truck. Luckily it wasn't over yet! On the horizon of the hill I saw what I thought was a deer so Trav pulled up his binoculars and said "those are elk" so we watch to see what they were going to do. We were worried they would cross over the top and go down the other side. NOPE, they didn't, they started heading down the mountain towards us, so I just followed Travs lead as we snuck across the mountain as quickly as we could to the next closest section of trees and waited until they came through. Really though at any point they could have changed directions and we wouldn't have had a chance at them but everything seemed to be in our favor and they came right where we wanted them. I had my gun pulled up, just waiting. Through my scope I watched some cows walk by then all the sudden there he was. I set my sight right where I had practiced and SHOT. I kind of stood there for a second and Trav told me to reload so I did and fired again, then another time (not really knowing exactly where I was aiming cuz he was on the move by now). Everything happened so fast, WHEW, talk about shaky knees and heart racing a million miles an hour, I even told Trav I thought I would pee my pants. haha Anyway we headed to go track it (me thinking I might have only wounded it or even missed) but NOPE, it had only gone about 30 yards, I made a nice clean shot! Trav and I were high-fiving and hugging, man were we pumped. So we radioed my dad and uncle Gary (after we let out some wild WAHOO'S) because they were just down the mountain a little ways and they brought the llamas up from where they were sitting and cleaned my elk out for me (I did offer to help, but grateful that they refused, WHAT MEN )! Such an exciting and fun, fun trip. Love, love spending time up in the peaceful mountains, away from the world and the chaos it brings, and nothing beats the time that I get with my hubby and amazing dad! Can't wait until next year. Oh and just for the record, our freezer is now stocked with burger, steaks, jerky and jalapeno sticks. Nothing like providing for the family! hahaha
Tuesday, October 16, 2012
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment